Tuesday, August 16, 2016

A Snapshot of the Past

This last weekend I was at my grandma's house. My grandma recently had an important visitor come: that is, her pen pal from France. How Grandma came by this pen pal is another story (that perhaps I could share another time). One of the gifts that the pen pal brought with her was a copy of the Match magazine from 1940, the year Gradma was born. The featured article for the magazine issue was a piece on Vivien Leigh and the premiere of Gone With the Wind. However, there were several pages of the issue covering the current events of the period, namely the Second World War. I thought some of my readers might find this interesting.

On the right in the above photo is the Match issue from 1940. On the left is a Match issue from a month or so ago, covering the terrorist attack in Nice. I'll let this speak for itself.


A full-page article of war news in the 1940 issue of Match.


So this was an interesting section of the magazine. It showed a diagram of a tank.




Here's a close-up of the tank on the right page.


On the left page, we have a shot-by-shot series of photos of a tank bursting through a brick wall.




Now here's a part I thought was cool: a two-page feature on the women of the British armed services.





It's funny because there was a woman in Grandma's ward about six years ago who was part of the British military during the war and I actually got to meet her once.



If you can read French, feel free to zoom in on these photos and see if you can translate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment