Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The Lizy Reviews: Thursdays With the Crown by Jessica Day George

You're probably wondering why I'm reviewing Thursdays with the Crown if Fridays with the Wizards just came out. The honest explanation is (a) I was waiting for the paperback of Thursdays with the Crown to come out and I waited too long (b) so I finally went to the library and checked out a copy (c) I'm not on top of the book news, so I need to get on it, but (d) rest assured Fridays is going on the hold list when it hits the library. But I just read Thursdays, so that's what we're reviewing. 


Via Goodreads
Something you should know about me: I love griffins much, much better than dragons. So I tweeted Jessica Day George after reading Wednesdays in the Tower that the book was “a griffin lover’s griffin fest.”  She told me when I ran into her at Salt Lake Comic Con 2014 that the sequel would be just the same.  She wasn’t kidding.

Also, my hand slipped:
Lord Griffin, by me.

Happy Griffin Family!

Personally, I wish I had re-read Wednesdays before I finally got my hands on a copy of Thursdays with the Crown, since a lot of the discussion between characters about what happened in the previous book.  Thursdays opens up with Celie, her griffin Rufus, her siblings Rolf and Lilah, and their friends Pogue and Prince Lulath, transported to the world where, supposedly, the Castle and the griffins originated, as well as the mess that led to the situation they currently find themselves in.  In short, the griffins are the best part.  I love how the author describes the griffins’ behavior with each other and around the humans.  

Also, this cover art looks sick.  Via Pinterest
Thursdays is the darkest and most action-packed book in the Castle Glower series thus far.  In fact, while written to a younger audience the entire series deals with some fairly serious material. With the number of characters in play it can be a little hard to keep track of where everyone is and what they’re doing. We do uncover a few things about the magic behind the castle. Not everything is spoiled or explained away, but even Celie, who loves the Castle and everything about it, starts to question what it’s really been up to all these years. These questions aren’t resolved, but the ending resolves pretty much everything else and sets up some possible adventures in the next book. Considering the bombshells dropped in Wednesdays and Thursdays, it could be something big.  And I get a feeling we’re not done with the Glorious Arkower or whatever it actually is yet. Book four, Fridays with the Wizards, just came out so stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment