Thursday, January 12, 2017

A Trip Down to Texas

I got to go home for Christmas. For those of you who don't know me, home is in Texas, just outside of San Antonio. 

Hill just outside of New Braunfels, Texas

I don't care if my Christmas is white or brown. It's not really Christmas unless I'm with my family.


Dad put up lights in our front yard this year--this is the biggest light display we've ever had

It was a fun break. We played board games and watched season 3 of Clone Wars and went to the theater to see Rogue One. But that's how my family is: we love Star Wars.


My brothers Carl and Rex

Some of you probably wonder why I still call Texas home if (A) I've been living in Utah for the last six years and (B) I have no intention of going back to live permanently. I think the fact of the matter is, Texas is home because it shaped me. It's where I had the experiences that defined me as a person. There are people there that I know and love dearly even if I don't get to see them much anymore.

A country backroad

Living in the country is frustrating because you have to drive to get anywhere. But on the other hand, I loved growing up in the country because I was surrounded by wide, open spaces with lots of animals and few people--prime spots to be filled in with the imagination.


I also got to spend quality time with our family's cats. We have four. 

Jaguar, aka the Goo, on Christmas Morning

And of course, I will always be enamored of the culture and history of my home state. I've visited the Alamo and the Riverwalk in downtown San Antonio more times than I can count. And I always love going back.

Horses grazing outside of Seguin, Texas

So Texas can be a great place for some people to live, but for where I am at in my life right now, it's not really a good fit. I have better job opportunities and more of a social life up here in Provo, even if I get frustrated with it sometimes. Plus, I hate the humidity down there. It was 80 degrees and humid the whole time I was down visiting last month. However, I am always happy to go back to Texas and visit. It's definitely a wonderful place. I always get excited when I meet someone else from the San Antonio/Austin area. Even if I end up spending the rest of my life somewhere else, I will always be proud to be Texan, because it's part of who I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment