Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Cosplay Adventures: The Comic Con Press Conference


Last Wednesday I went to the press conference for Salt Lake Comic Con. It was held in the Utah State Capitol.  I'd never been there before.

my photo

Naturally about half the time I was there I was like "oooh, shiny!"  Needless to say I need to go back and take a tour. It's a great place to take photos, too.

my photo

People were already arriving by the time I got there. I spent most of the time waiting for the press conference to start taking photos and saying hi to my cosplay friends and other people in the cosplay community.  It's always fun to see them in person.

my photo

Eric Hall, known for his spot-on Data cosplay, came as Mr. Incredible. Here he is with Violet.  Eric kept making "incredible" puns all day.

my photo

Ashley McKnight as Scarlet Witch. I hadn't seen her Scarlet Witch before and she pulls it off nicely. :)

my photo--doesn't really do them justice!

Finn and Rey and Baby-8!

Mark Loertscher
This is the Sharon Carter/Agent 13 outfit I wore to the Captain America: Civil War premiere the previous week. My hair didn't stay curly for very long but this photo by Mark Loertscher still came out amazing.

Photo courtesy of Mark Loertscher
Team Cap! Left to right: Adam Galloway, me, Ashley McKnight, Benji Seekins, and TJ DeCarlo.

The press conference itself was all right.  I'm not particularly excited for any of the guests except for Michael Rooker, who plays Yondu in Guardians of the Galaxy. But Bryan Brandenburg remembers me from the FanX Press Conference in November. He and Dan Farr are really nice to the fans.

Literally the best moment of the press conference: Vanellope Von Schweetz (aka Melanie Hamburg) ran into both of the Winter Soldier cosplayers who were at the event, Benji Seekins and Ryan Hahn.  I suggested that she give her "You're my hero" medal to one of them.

Photo courtesy Melanie Hamburg. Is it just me or does Ryan look jealous?



Afterward the cosplayers broke out to get photos taken in and around the capitol. There were professional photographers on site.  We also took lots of personal photos and selfies.  Here's one with me and Ashley. I wish a Black Widow had come to the press conference.  Then we would've had all the ladies of Civil War!


Photo courtesy Ashley McKnight
Chilling on the side of the Capitol: me, Ashley, Melanie, and Kyle Anderson.  Everyone else was bowing to female Loki. *eyeroll*


I've always wanted to try out the shield. Ryan Stevens was happy to lend it to me.

My photo

Scarlet Witch had a go with it too.

My photo
I also got to see my Aunt Peggy!

Photo courtesy of Ashley McKnight

After the press conference was over I went out to lunch at a Denny's in Salt Lake with some of my cosplayer friends who had been there. Right when we were getting up to leave a random lady walked in and asked for our picture. She had come all the way from Australia and wanted to show her family the weirdness that we Americans were up to!  

No comments:

Post a Comment